The Zonta Club of Long Island has been involved in to helping raise awareness of violence against women.
Listed below are some of their projects:
- A brief curriculum and activities guide aimed at raising awareness on gender violence was developed and presented to staff members at Martin de Porres High School in Rockaway, New York for implementation with their students during the 16 Days of Activism against Gender Violence. Topics included street harassment, sexist lyrics in music, human trafficking, and gender neutral language.
- A donation was made to Holla Back, a Brooklyn non-profit dedicated to fighting street harassment of women through education and awareness around the world.
- “Zonta Says No” ribbons were distributed to over 100 people at the club’s annual Women of the Year event on 21 November to be worn on 25 November.
- Club president, Sr. Evelyn Lamoureux presented information on the 16 Days Campaign to the Nassau County Legislature on Monday, 25 November.
- Members participated in the RAVE Walk with Zonta of Queens County.