Background of Topic:
Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action: http://beijing20.unwomen.org/~/media/field%20office%20beijing%20plus/attachments/beijingdeclarationandplatformforaction-en.ashx
Commission on the Status of Women (CSW): http://www.unwomen.org/en/csw
Istanbul Convention (Convention on preventing and combating violence against women and domestic violence): http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/standardsetting/convention-violence/
Ideas for the Day:
- Study your country reports to CEDAW as well as reports to UN entities on the Beijing Platform for Action and Millennium Development Goals progress to look for opportunities for advocacy actions.
- Celebrate progress made in the 12 critical areas of concern of the Beijing Platform for Action and see where the most work still remains. Visit http://beijing20.unwomen.org/en/get-involved and learn how you can spread the word.
- Attend the 59th Session of the Commission on the Status of Women in New York, NY, USA from 9-20 March 2015. Learn more!
- Write to a local/regional/national government representative or invite a representative to attend a club meeting. Ask them what initiatives are in place to end violence against women and girls and their effectiveness. Bring their attention to areas of weakness or areas that need greater attention in current and pending legislation.
- Invite civil society partners, peer organizations, community stakeholders and young people to join your club for a discussion on violence against women and girls and what they are doing to Say NO.
Hashtags: #ZontaSaysNo #16Days
Images/Videos to Share:
http://indicators.ohchr.org/ (ratification of CEDAW interactive map)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lz7reNcPJQ (Istanbul Convention video)